Is anyone packaging spamassassin-3.1.0 for FC3?

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue Sep 27 00:00:13 UTC 2005

--On Monday, September 26, 2005 2:00 PM +0100 "D. D. Brierton"
<darren at dzr-web.com> wrote:

> Is anyone packaging the new version of SpamAssassin for FC3? An awful
> lot of spam is beginning to get past spamassassin-3.0.4. Alternatively,
> how compatible with FC3 is the rpm built by doing
>
> rpmbuild -tb Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0.tar.gz
>
> on the tarball available from spamassassin.apache.org as per the
> instructions on the download page?

I do exactly that for FC2. I now have 3.1.0 running on 3 FC2 servers with
no special tweaks. Save your old configuration, in case there's some
incompatible config change that you need to migrate. These are rare,
though, and the RPM will install a local.cf.rpmnew if you changed anything
in the stock one. (The new one is all comments about things you might
install. No actual content.)

I run SA and ClamAV via the MIMEDefang milter, and then run a second pass
from procmail using spamc/spamd, but I have relatively low mail volume so
the double-hit is acceptable. Otherwise I'd change the MIMEDefang setup to
modify the message instead of just checking it for score. Instead, messages
that are accepted (under 10) are processed a second time for markup and
then filtered by Procmail into a separate spam folder.