Nut,usb and installation

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Sep 27 01:44:48 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 10:47 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
> Markku Kolkka wrote:
> > david walcroft kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika maanantai, 26.
> > syyskuuta 2005 08:39):
> >
> >>Sep 26 15:35:05 reddwarf upsd[4089]: /var/run/nut is world
> >>readable Sep 26 15:35:05 reddwarf upsd[4089]:
> >>/etc/ups/upsd.conf is world readable
> >

> > chmod those files to 600 or 640.
> >

> >>Sep 26 15:35:05 reddwarf
> >>upsd[4089]: Can't connect to UPS [powermate3105]
> >>(upsdrvctl-hiddev0): No such file or directory Sep 26 15:35:10
> >

> > Your UPS driver isn't configured correctly and doesn't start.
> >

> >>reddwarf upsd[4105]: Startup successful Sep 26 15:35:10
> >>reddwarf upsd[4105]: writepid: fopen
> >>/var/run/nut/upsd.pid: Permission denied
> >

> > Check the ownership and protection of /var/run/nut/ and the files
> > in it.
> >

> >>Sep 26 15:35:10 reddwarf upsmon[4108]: Startup successful
> >>Sep 26 15:35:10 reddwarf upsd[4105]: Rejecting TCP connection
> >>from 127.0.0.1
> >

> > Change the access controls in upsd.conf to allow connections from
> > localhost.
> >
> Markku,
>      you have been a great help but 'nut'is becoming to complicated and
> confusing for me (Bi-Polar, Depression, etc) to get configured,its
> actully depressing me working on it.It looks as if my powermate will
> finish up as a power filter and not a ups. It says little for Linux
> where one service (ups) takes 3> programmes,7> confifig files to get up
> and running, the M$ jibe about Linux is built by geeks for geeks has a
> gem of truth!!
----
another way of looking at the same thing might be - let the buyer
beware. There are UPS systems such as APC that have software and would
work out of the box and there are 3rd party programs such as APCUPSD
which are terrific and easy enough. Of course, you would have to check
on these things before you purchase.

also, there is the notion that the net gain is zero. You gave up and
thus no one learned anything at all from your efforts or from the
efforts given on the list to help you get it working. If you were to
persevere instead of giving up, document what you did for the next
person who follows in your footstep, Linux would probably benefit and
the driver db in the 'nut' project could probably include your hardware.
Alas, you surrendered.

Craig

believed to be clean.