OT: How to copy MBR between two VMware 5.0 virtual disks?

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Tue Sep 27 09:11:52 UTC 2005

Am Dienstag, den 27.09.2005, 15:17 +0700 schrieb Strong:
> Need an advice.
>
> I have Gate's product 98 :) under VMware 5.0 and want to reduce its disk
> (i set it as not growing one, the fixed size). So I think to copy its
> content by simple copy in gp98 to another vrtual disk and want to copy
> MBR to it so that it might be bootable/functionable after this is done.
> HOW to do that? I think to boot from my FC4 disk1 and may dd somehow,
> no?

I'm not a guru for that OS, but I used the backup software (maybe you
have to install it from the media, im most cases it is not installed by
default) to make a backup onto a network drive. Then I bootet into a new
VMware machine and used the mare metal restore functionality. Booting
was OK but I had to adjust some other settings, don't remember the
details. The help system gives some advice.

Peter