2.6.14-rc2-git6 vs FC3

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Tue Sep 27 14:41:21 UTC 2005

At 1:08 PM +0200 9/27/05, Zoltan Boszormenyi wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have an FC3/x86-64 system and I wanted to try
>the latest-greatest mainstream test kernel.
>The compilation went OK but it didn't boot successfully,
>which seems to be an FC3 bug. The last lines on the
>console are:

>Switching to new root
>Enforcing mode requested but no policy loaded. Halting now.
>Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kil init!
>
>At that point, the initrd userspace already started up
>and loaded the required modules, e.g. ext3, SATA drivers, etc.
>
>Is FC3 (or its mkinitrd) that old to be incompatible with
>the latest kernel? At this moment I cannot upgrade to FC4
>to confirm this.

That's SELinux.  Note that the name SELinux doesn't appear in SELinux error
messages; this may be the Security Mindset at work.  The key words in the
error message are "enforcing mode" and "policy".  Turn off SELinux'
enforcing mode.  If you run any servers you will want to be behind some
other firewall and pay attention to the machine's firewall.