NFS Mount over a Specific Interface

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 15:35:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 10:30, Matt Roth wrote:

> I should have been more specific in my original post.  The multiple NICs
> are on the NFS client.
>
> One NIC on the NFS client will be receiving HEAVY VoIP traffic and I
> want any NFS traffic to be offloaded to a separate NIC on the client, as
> shown:
>            ________           ________
>          _|        |_        |        |
>         |e|        |e|       |        |
>   VoIP  |t|   NFS  |t|  NFS  |  NFS   |
> --------|h| Client |h|-------| Server |
>         |0|        |1|       |        |
>          -|________|-        |________|
>
> I'm looking for a way to tell the mount command on the NFS client which
> interface to use.  It defaults to the first active interface.  I can
> easily swap interfaces and IPs around in the box to meet my goal, but I
> was looking for a more flexible solution.

The sure way to do it is to put it on a different subnet with an
address on the NFS server also on that subnet.  You could either
add a physical interface to the NFS server to match or just overlay
another address on the existing interface if you don't care about
isolating the traffic on that side or the backbone path.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com