2.6.14-rc2-git6 vs FC3

Zoltan Boszormenyi zboszor at freemail.hu
Tue Sep 27 16:01:32 UTC 2005

Tony Nelson írta:
> At 1:08 PM +0200 9/27/05, Zoltan Boszormenyi wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have an FC3/x86-64 system and I wanted to try
>>the latest-greatest mainstream test kernel.
>>The compilation went OK but it didn't boot successfully,
>>which seems to be an FC3 bug. The last lines on the
>>console are:
>>
>>-------------------------------------------------
>>Switching to new root
>>Enforcing mode requested but no policy loaded. Halting now.
>>Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kil init!
>>-------------------------------------------------
>>
>>At that point, the initrd userspace already started up
>>and loaded the required modules, e.g. ext3, SATA drivers, etc.
>>
>>Is FC3 (or its mkinitrd) that old to be incompatible with
>>the latest kernel? At this moment I cannot upgrade to FC4
>>to confirm this.
>

> That's SELinux.  Note that the name SELinux doesn't appear in SELinux error
> messages; this may be the Security Mindset at work.  The key words in the
> error message are "enforcing mode" and "policy".  Turn off SELinux'
> enforcing mode.  If you run any servers you will want to be behind some
> other firewall and pay attention to the machine's firewall.

Yes, thank you. I know it's SELinux, I already switched off
enforcing mode, but I cannot reboot to try it at the moment.
My machine is the only computer in the house, so I am a bit
uneasy about switching it off.

BTW, I am running 2.6.13-rc1-mm1 (kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3 is installed)
and setting enforcing mode on boot works with these kernel versions.

Maybe the RedHat engineers can answer my real question,
here it is again:

Is FC3 (or its mkinitrd or initscripts) that old
to be incompatible with the latest kernel?

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi