serial terminal communications app?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 20:47:56 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 15:25, Matt Morgan wrote:
> I tried to search the list archive for this, and I must be typing in
> the wrong search terms.
>
> What terminal apps for serial communication, for example, to the
> serial port on the back of a Cisco router, do people like to use in
> FC3?
>
> Simplicity is important, since I'm hoping to get a non-linux person to
> reset IOS to the defaults on some routers we're going to decommission
> & sell. If there's a nice gui app out there, that would be fantastic.

GUIness doesn't make a lot of sense in a character mode communication
app.  You'll probably run it from an xterm window anyway.  Try minicom
or kermit.  Either should do all you need.  With kermit you could
script the commands and tie it to desktop icon if you'd like to hide
it completely from the operator.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com