LVM Recovery Problem

Eric Feldhusen efeldhusen at chartermi.net
Wed Sep 28 15:29:40 UTC 2005

I have a RHEL4(thus similar to FC3, which is why I ask here) server
setup running with the root partition on a LVM. It was running fine
until a 200GB dd disk image file was written to 157GB of free space. The
dd file was from a 20GB hard drive, so I believe the problem was in the
block size, but either way, the file system showed no increase in used
space.  The server was restarted, and during start up as the LVMs are
started up, the message "file descriptor 3 open, mounting read-only"
comes up.  The system will start, badly broken, as the entire LVM is
read-only.  I restarted the system on a RHEL4 cd1, went into rescue
mode, removed the dd file, restarted again on the hard drives, still get
the same error.   If I start up the system in rescue mode on the RHEL4
cd, I can access the filesystem with no problems, I can chroot into it,
and actually run services with no problem and the services can access
and use the LVM with no problem.

Any suggestions on what to do?  The LVM how-to doesn't have an area that
  fits with this problem, and I have to believe if the rescue cd will
access the LVM without problems, it can be repaired.

--
Eric Feldhusen
System Administrator     http://www.remc1.org