Does one needs gcc java in fc4

Vikram Goyal vikigoyal at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 16:32:19 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Eduardo Dela Rosa <eduardo.delarosa at gmail.com>
Sent: Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 09:28:53AM +1000
To For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: Does one needs gcc java in fc4

> Try this:
>
> Download the Sun JRE 1.5 (preferably J2SDK 1.5 if you're a
> developer) and install it, i.e., in /opt. You may want to download
> the `.bin` rather than the `.rpm` to have more control as to
> where you want to move it after you `sh` it.
>
> Then set your JAVA_HOME variable (either in /etc/profile [global] or in
> ~/.bash_profile [user]) to point it to the directory where you
> installed/moved it. Modify your PATH variable, in such a way that
> JAVA_HOME comes first before everything, to override java-gcc
> path.
>
> JAVA_HOME=<install_dir>
> PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH:<etc>
>
> HTH.
>
> On 9/25/05, Vikram Goyal <vikigoyal at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am running a java application which expects the sun jre to sucessfully
> > execute itself. I have these rpms from default installation:
> >
> > 1} java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-src-1.4.2.0-40jpp_31rh.FC4.1
> > 2} java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-devel-1.4.2.0-40jpp_31rh.FC4.1
> > 3} gcc-java-4.0.1-4.fc4
> >
> > Do I need these and how do I circumvent these.
> >
> > I have sun's jre version jre-1.5.0_05-fcs installed
> >
> > Thanks!
> > --
> > vikram...
> > ^^'''''^^||root||^^^'''''''^^
> > // \\ ))
> > //(( \\// \\
> > // /\\ || \\
> > --
> > This is a good time to punt work.
> > --
> > ~|~
> > =
> > Registered Linux User #285795
> >
> > --

I found a more elegant solution from the list. See..

Using alternatives to setup the system to use the Sun version is better
than removing all the Java packages. See
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JavaFAQ

Regards,
--
vikram...
--
Why does New Jersey have more toxic waste dumps and California have
more lawyers?