cd writing

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Sep 28 19:49:24 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 15:06 -0400, Amadeus W. M. wrote:
> Just wondering...
>
> When I write a cd at the prompt using cdrecord, I have to be root, or sodo
> cdrecord. When writing the cd from nautilus (as user), by drag-and-drop,
> I'm not being asked for any root password, or anything. Out of curiosity,
> what does nautilus do behind the scenes to write the cd?

It has to do with pam.
You should be able to use cdrecord from the cli if you are the first
user logged into the console - I usually don't because my burner is on a
headless machine where I can't log directly - but that certainly was the
difference in the past.

cat /var/run/console/console.lock

That user should (at least in the past) be able to use cdrecord
directly.