OT: Massachusetts Verdict: MS Office Formats Out

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 28 20:47:06 UTC 2005

Guy Fraser wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-28-09 at 14:26 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>Guy Fraser wrote:

[snip]

> As for Resumes, my organization prefers to receive them
> either printed or via email in ascii text format. But we
> are an IT company not a publishing company. We consider
> the content to be more important that the esoteric
> appearance. Many other organizations take the opposite
> stance and want the esoterically presented Word Document,
> and consider a well done presentation as a sign of attention
> to detail. I would prefer to not receive a Word document
> and if I was unable to open it in OO, I would either file

OO opens it. And edits it. But when I try to save it, OO
gives a warning. Odd?

> it in bin 13 or would request that it be resubmitted in
> ascii text or rtf. If the person didn't know how to provide
> it as such without question, they would be considered
> unqualified, but then I require technically resourceful
> and flexible staff.

I'm not a documentation expert, and don't want to become one.
I'm a software developer. I've used Word, Frame, and several
other systems for writing documentation on various pieces of
software, but I'm more interested in being expert at writing
software than being expert at using Word etc. But I do recognize
their value.

I like plain ASCII text, myself. But diagrams in documents
can go a long way in helping understand how a complicated
piece of software works (like a multi-processor debugger
I wrote a few years ago: two separate programs, five
threads communicating via messages). Nice diagrams are difficult
with ASCII text :-)

Hey, I don't even like HTML in mail messages!

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.