fc4 on AMD64 dual core

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Thu Sep 29 15:10:02 UTC 2005

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Amadeus W. M. wrote:

> Just wondering what are people's experiences on dual core AMD64. Is this
> architecture fully supported by fc4? Is fc4 stable on this architecture?
> Is fc4 optimized for amd64 x2?

dual cores looks like two cpu's. To the extent that multicpu
amd64/opterons are well supported by fc4 so are the dual cores. My only
dual core box is a dual processor dual core built on a tyan k8sd pro
which works fine as far as I'm concerned...

> I looked up the recommended motherboards at the AMD web site and all but a
> few had an Nvidia chipset (the others VIA). Do I have to worry about
> drivers? Do I have to download drivers from Nvidia the way we do for the
> Nvidia video cards each time we upgrade the kernel? Which chipset is
> natively supported by fc4?

All the chipset integrated pieces in the via chipset boards are well
supported. I have no personal experience with the nforce-4 ultra, there
are people in here who've used it.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu