How to turn on the find's -noleadf option?

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Thu Sep 29 15:30:51 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 23:24 +0800, Wong Kwok-hon wrote:
> On 9/29/05, Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 15:43 +0800, Wong Kwok-hon wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > When I perform command "find / -name abc.txt -print" message "find:
> > > WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for /proc: this may be a bug in your
> > > filesystem driver.  Automatically turning on find's -noleaf option.
> > > Earlier results may have failed to include directories that should
> > > have been searched." displayed.
> > >
> > > Would someone tell me how to turn it on ?
> >
> > er.. like this?
> > find / -name abc.txt -print -noleaf ?
> >
> >  try
> > $man find
> >

> I tried but no help in man page.  I didn't need to do this when I am
> in fedora Core 3. Is the problem is caused by the yum upgrade from FC3
> to FC4 ?
       -noleaf
Do not optimize by assuming that directories contain 2 fewer
subdirectories  than  their  hard link  count.   This  option  is
needed when searching filesystems that do not follow the Unix
directory-link convention, such as CD-ROM or MS-DOS filesystems or AFS
volume  mount  points. Each  directory  on  a  normal Unix filesystem
has at least 2 hard links: its name and its â entry.  Additionally, its
subdirectories (if any) each have  a  â   entry  linked  to  that
directory.   When  find  is examining a directory, after it has statted
2 fewer subdirectories than the directoryâs link count, it knows that
the rest of the entries in  the  directory  are non-directories  (â
files  in  the directory tree).  If only the filesâ names need to be
examined, there is no need to stat them; this gives a significant
increase in search speed.

--
Ow Mun Heng
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!