"exchange server" for Linux

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Sep 29 18:57:53 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 11:37 -0700, Corey Head wrote:

> When I asked about 'exchange' type services for Linux
> as I had just set up a
> couple of clients on PCs and Macs (via Entourage) with
> some hosted exchange
> servers.  The features are definitely nice.  I think,
> however, since it's
> MS--it means a lot of hassles and unforeseen
> difficulties as patches arise
> from patches.  In essence, Exchange has "all the bases
> covered" as you say.
> What I'm really anxiously awaiting, however, is the
> Mozilla Sunbird project.
> When that starts out with some real usable betas and
> an eventual release,
> I'll be in calendar/contact heaven!
>
> Thanks for the help all!
----
I think the point is that no groupware product has all the bases covered
- not even Exchange. Exchange has a very desirable feature set but it is
a client lock-in product. Outlook is the client. When you use other
clients such as Entourage or Evolution, you get limited functionality.
When you use other clients, you probably get no functionality beyond
IMAP or POP3 (if that is enabled).

Craig

believed to be clean.