Fwd: [Contributors] Microsoft Windows Is Offically Broken

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Thu Sep 29 21:50:37 UTC 2005

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 10:57:03PM +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 14:39 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> > Also a GUI tends to be a moving target, thereby making
> > what documentation there is out of date.
>
> A good GUI shouldn't need documentation, though; it should explain
> itself intuitively, and provide some hints for the more difficult bits.
I have an ex-student who made a claim like this recently. His company
produces a product that needs no documentation. It is "intuitively
obvious" he says.
Balderdash. I am still waiting for the program that needs no
documentation. I think I will die first. Linux Journal put me on to
search tools recently. I am frustrated that kfind for example has no man
page, and I would  still like to know how you search jpegs using it. That
is certainly not obvious to me and that annoys me.