OT: Massachusetts Verdict: MS Office Formats Out

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Sep 29 22:28:17 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 17:22 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 15:22, Mike McCarty wrote:
> >

> >>Why should I follow around after OO when I can just boot Windows in
> >>about a minute and a half, and be assured that the doc is ok? If OO
> >>knows there is a problem, then it should tell me. If there is no
> >>problem, it shouldn't frighten me. If it doesn't know, then why should
> >>I use it?
> >

> > If you don't save it in a portable format yourself, you are
> > participating in forcing others to join the same proprietary
>
> This statement is on the face of it ridiculous.
>
> I needed to write a resume a couple of years ago. I asked my
> girlfriend, who is very familiar with Word, to take my text
> version and wite it up, because the fellow I wanted to send
> my resume to specifically asked for Word format. She did that,
> and I have a copy of my resume in Word format.
>
> I then decided recently to update my resume. I'm not a documentation
> expert, and don't want to become one. I loaded up my resume, and
> edited it with OO. OO didn't say anything when it loaded my
> resume, and it seemed to edit my resume just fine. When I went
> to save my resume, it said "WARNING WILL ROBINSON! DANGER!
> ALERT! YOU MAY BE LOSING IMPORTANT INFORMATION! ARE YOU *REALLY*
> *REALLY* _*REALLLY*_ SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS?" (Or words to that
> effect.)
>
> So I decided that I didn't really really want to use OO. I rebooted
> under Windows, used Word to edit the document, saved it, and
> e-mailed it away.
>
> And so now I'm part of a vast conspiracy, a contributor to monopoly,
> tyranny, and other evil practices intended to subjugate the peoples
> of the third world, because I saved my resume in Word format instead
> of OO format, when OO itself warned me that it might not be a good
> idea.
>
> Grow up and give me a break.
>
> If there *was* a problem, OO should have told me, WHEN IT LOADED
> THE DOCUMENT, that the document contained things that it
> couldn't or wouldn't preserve if I saved it. If there *wasn't*
> a problem, it should have said NOTHING. If the document contained
> things that it could preserve, but only by changing file format,
> then it should have warned me WHEN IT LOADED THE DOCUMENT. And the
> messages should have been specific enough that I could, at that
> moment, made an informed decision about whether to continue.
>
> It appears that OO is simply remembering what the format it loaded
> was, and noticing that it is different from the format it is
> going to use to save in, and then issuing a lazy-bones message
> which MAY OR MAY NOT MEAN ANYTHING.
>
> The only way to describe this is LAZY, SLOPPY PROGRAMMING.
>
> > lock-in.  Its a battle you can't win every time and not worth
> > fighting if you don't have a chance of winning.  But, now that
> > an open standard exists the chances of winning sometimes just
> > got better.  There is no way that OO can guarantee that everything
> [...]
----
of course you are ignoring the fact that if you use Word and save the
file in a foreign format, you get the same type of warnings.

I guess I don't see the distinction except that the warnings in OO only
come when you save files in .DOC format and in Word, when you don't save
in .DOC format.

Craig

believed to be clean.