Fwd: [Contributors] Microsoft Windows Is Offically Broken

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Sep 30 14:40:24 UTC 2005

Tim:

akonstam at trinity.edu

> I have an ex-student who made a claim like this recently. His company
> produces a product that needs no documentation. It is "intuitively
> obvious" he says.
> Balderdash. I am still waiting for the program that needs no
> documentation.

Then it's not a "good GUI".  :-\  I did say a good GUI shouldn't need
it, I didn't say all GUIs are good.  A lot are quite crap, like the two
examples I gave.

On the other side of the coin, a lot of non-GUI programs are crap to use
for similar reasons:  Unintuitive ways of working, requires
documentation to understand how to use them, and the documentation is
poor.

I read messages from the public lists.