Python Zipimport Bitpim Problem

Chris Spencer gmane.20.evilspam at spamgourmet.com
Fri Sep 30 16:25:34 UTC 2005

A day after I install Bitpim (http://bitpim.sourceforge.net), I get this
error when I try to run it:

zipimport.ZipImportError: not a Zip file: '/usr/lib/bitpim-0.7.32/bp'
    Fatal Python error: cannot get zipimporter instance
    Aborted

The only way I've found to fix it is to reinstall Bitpim, but the
problem always returns a day later. I asked the Bitpim devs and they
told me:

"You can thank your operating system for this.  Every evening it runs a
task that goes around stripping files.  In this bp is an ELF binary
with a zip file appended.  The automated strip processes is removing
the zip file.

I suggest finding the cron job that does this and stop it.  (No, I don't
know what it is exactly as I don't run Fedora). "

Does anyone know what he's talking about? What cron job would I stop and
how would I do that?

This problem is immensely frustrating and makes Bitpim essentially
unusable on Fedora. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Chris