Sendmail delays

Jay Lee jlee at pbu.edu
Fri Sep 30 17:19:40 UTC 2005

Grant Ozolins wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> Quite often when I try to send mail from either PHP or mutt (and
> probably other processes too), it takes Sendmail some multiple of 5
> seconds to accept the email and let the calling process get on with
> things, i.e. 30, 35, 45, 55 seconds to accept the mail.
>
> My system is based around FC3-minimal on a dual opteron 244 box
>
> I'm using the stock sendmail.mc file except that I have
>
> dnlFEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
>
> and
>
> dnlDAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
>
> Commented.  I initially thought this might be a greet_pause type thing,
> but it's not actually implemented.

Sounds like DNS to me.  Even if sendmail is configured to accept
unresolvable domains, it's going to sit there a long time waiting.  What
does:

nslookup `hostname`

return?  I'm not sure if sendmail uses /etc/hosts but try adding the
output of hostname to /etc/hosts on the same line as "127.0.0.1
localhost localhost.localdomain"

Jay
--
Jay Lee