Firefox flash plugin

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 15:40:14 UTC 2006

On 4/1/06, Mariano López Reta <mlreta at alternativagratis.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 09:08 -0400, Jacques B. wrote:
> > Disable SELinux, and it will install.  Then re-enable it (if you wish
> > to use it).  I had to do that both at home and at work to install the
> > plugin.  Otherwise it was doing exactly as you have experienced.
> >

> Thanks Jacques! I disabled SELinux and it just started working, even
> without reloading Firefox!
>
> What's with SELinux? I think this is getting paranoid... I feel safe
> enough with my two firewalls (one on the router and iptables). Will keep
> SELinux disabled.
>
> Thanks again, Jacques!

I really don't know much about SELinux.  I do know that I had to use
the semanage command to allow my web server to accept incoming
connection on a non-standard port, as otherwise SELinux was blocking
it.  And I know it's to apply security policies that are independant
of account priviledges (so even if someone compromises root, SELinux
will protect your system - but then again as root you can change
SELinux settings can't you?).

I hope to learn more about it.  For now I don't have time.  I do know
that you can re-enable it after the plugin is installed (and requires
a reboot to restart SELinux) and it will continue to work.

Jacques