Installing FC5 on pre-partitioned /dev/hdb

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Apr 3 00:54:14 UTC 2006

On Sunday 02 April 2006 20:06, Craig White wrote:
>On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 19:49 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Sunday 02 April 2006 19:11, Craig White wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> >----
>> >if you understand his issue - tell him what he should do
>> >
>> >Craig
>>
>> With all due respect Craig, you obviously don't want to understand
>> the issue.  You need a shorter horse, that ones waay too high.
>
>----
>fair enough - if by your refusal to disconnect the existing hard drive
>now known as /dev/hda - you damage the installation, please do now
> whine on list without expecting an 'I told you so'
>
>I would also be extremely surprised if disk druid weren't capable of
>installing into already created valid partitions which I guess is what
>you are struggling to do.

That is exactly, precisely the point, if you do not edit that partition,
AND enter what it thinks are valid numbers, it won't even let you get
to access the label string at the top of the edit screen.  Any attempt
to fool it and get on by just segfaults and exits to a "you may now
reboot your computer" message.

Besides that, the edit cursor cannot be found most of the time so you
hit the tab key and the space bar alternately looking to see if it had
the right effect, often it doesn't so you back out & retry.  Its
busted, its been called to this lists attention lots of times and yet
the brokenness is ignored by blameing it all on clueless users. I dare
say most just give up and let it do it the way it wants to, and when
the system is then broken beyond recovery, debian gets put on that box
because you CAN configure it the exact way you want.  And they put up
with XFree86 and its crashes.

I built x.org-6.8-901 nearly 2 years ago now, on two different machines
and its yet to crash.  I built kde-3.3.0 using konstruct back when it
was new because the one installed by FC2 when I upgraded was crashing
just by hovering the mouse over a printing function.

That problem actually turned out to be a bad cups rpm build that AFAIK,
hasn't been updated (for FC2) yet because you officially don't care
about kde.  I've built newer cups since, several times now in fact,
along with the gimp and gutenprint from scratch several times.  I'm
also running kernel 2.6.16.1 built from scratch along with
amanda-2.5.0, built from scratch in the next 24 hours after a new
version is released.  Yet you continually berate me as a big dummy
suffering from alzheimers.

When I do come to this list for help, I usually know exactly what
question I should be asking, I ask it with enough detail so there is no
possibility of miss-understanding if you can read english, and yet you
continually miss-understand me.

So either understand the question and help IF you can (and which I'm
doubting from the responses so far), or just ignore me, I can tolerate
that.

I'm going to try the gui installer once just for grins & if that won't
work, then I'll pull hda and move the new drive to the end connector
jumpered for master.

But, when I do that, I want to know before hand, howto remove the labels
this borked piece of crap will no doubt put on the partitions.  I'll
build customised /etc/fstab's for both drives IF I don't run into an
e2fsck version miss-match like I did with 2 different debian based
installs on another box thats now running my milling machine.  Thats a
PITA too FWIW when the same version number of e2fsck, 1.35, can't check
the same versions drives of another parallel install.

So how do I remove a label from a partition once its been labeled?

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: