[solved] FC5 audio device permission problems

Anand Buddhdev arb at anand.org
Mon Apr 3 12:25:40 UTC 2006

Anand Buddhdev <arb <at> anand.org> writes:

> I upgraded my FC4 system to FC5 last night, using yum. I use KDE. Now
> I'm having all sorts of problems with permissions for devices in /dev.
> I noticed immediately that I could not play any sounds. It turns out
> that /dev/dsp was owned by root, with mode 0600. I did "chown <myusername>
> /dev/dsp" and I could play sounds. I had to do the same with /dev/mixer.
>
> This morning, I discovered I could not play CDs because /dev/hdc is owned
> by root.disk, with permissions 0660. Now, I can add myself to the "disk"
> group, but again, it's a hack. Under FC4, everything worked fine.

I found the problem, and it was partly my doing. I figured out that pam_console
was not getting called. I checked my /etc/pam.d/kdm file, and pam_console is the
last module called. However, before that, I had inserted another entry to be
able to use pam_ssh, and it was marked "sufficient", so when it succeeded, it
didn't call pam_console. I changed the order of the pam modules, putting
pam_console before pam_ssh, and now it works fine.

Sorry to have bothered everyone with this problem.

--
Anand