residual Promise tattooing confuses FC5

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Mon Apr 3 13:45:32 UTC 2006

    Has anyone else run into this problem. We have a machine which
had hardware Promise RAID in use with RedHat 9. When we installed
Fedora Core 4 on the machine, since dmraid didn't recognize the
Promise hardware RAID partitions, we disabled the Promise hardware
RAID in the BIOS and installed FC4 with software RAID-1 partitions.
The FC4 install CD recognizes these partitions without complaint.
However the FC5 install CD complains that the partition map on the
drives are corrupted. My guess is that dmraid is seeing some residual
tattooing on the drives and not using the software RAID. Is there some
way to disable dmraid on this system during the installation? I would
rather not have to do a low level format just to eliminate the
residual tattooing.
           Jack