How to find the ip of a mac-address

Daniel Challen daniel.challen at ocsl.co.uk
Mon Apr 3 14:51:43 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 12:40 +0000, Dan Track wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've got the mac-address of desktop. But I don't know it's IP, are
> there any tools that I can use to find this IP.

Presuming you're on the same LAN, and the desktop is not running Windows
(which does not respond to the broadcast address):
  ping -b 192.168.0.255      (substitute with your broadcast address)
  /sbin/arp -a | grep 00:10:00:FF:FF:FF		(substitute with the MAC
address of the desktop)

Failing that, you can watch network traffic and hope the desktop machine
generates some traffic:
  tcpdump -v ether host 00:10:00:FF:FF:FF

- Dan

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. This communication may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended receipient, please be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the OCSL switchboard on +44 1403 700959