Installing FC5 on pre-partitioned /dev/hdb

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 16:21:23 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 10:40, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Bullshit.  Not available in the text screen install when booted to the
> dvd.  If there is an 'askmethod' then I suggest if be suitably
> documented in the help available from the Fkeys.  It is not.  I was
> able to work around it in the gui except for its insane insistance
> that /root cannot be a partition, but MUST be a dir on /.

'linux askmethod' at the boot prompt has worked for ages (RH8 days
at least and probably earlier). You have to use it if you want
to boot from the 1st install CD but actually do the install via
NFS access to a directory containing the downloaded iso images
(probably the fastest/easiest way to install if you already have
one working machine).

As for putting mount points where you want them, it's really much
easier to install a basic system, then work with the command
line tools to make optional filesystems and put them where you
want.  The only exception is where you want / on raid which is
painful to do with disk druid but even worse to try to convert
later.  If there is already stuff in the directory where you
want to mount a new filesystem, mount in a temporary location,
copy the stuff to it, rename the existing directory and make
a new one, then reboot with the appropriate entry in /etc/fstab.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com