Wiring help?

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Mon Apr 3 17:16:16 UTC 2006

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Dan Track wrote:

> Hi
> I appreciate this is OT but could some one guide me to some
> documentation that describes the difference between structured and
> unstructured cabling. Basically I just bought some cabling to attach
> my server to the switch, but someone just told me that what I bought
> was structured cabling and not good for this type of job.

someone has their terminology screwed up.

A structured cabling system is one layed out in a consistent hierarchical 
system. An unstructured cable plant is one where every time you need to 
connect two devices you ran another jumper/fiber/patch etc.

> Also should the switch to server wiring be shielded or unshielded?

If this is ethernet, 10/100/1000 base-t it runs over unshielded category 5 
twisted pair cable.

Getting back to the original statement. in-wall wiring in most places has 
to be plenum rated to meet building codes, in addition most of the time 
premisis wiring  is done with solid copper rather than stranded (which is 
more flexible and is used for jumpers.

If you have two devices sitting right next to each other, you just connect 
them with a jumper.

> Thanks for your patience
> Dan

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
GPG Key Fingerprint:     5C6E 0104 BAF0 40B0 5BD3 C38B F000 35AB B67F 56B2

More information about the users mailing list