Wiring help?

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Mon Apr 3 17:16:16 UTC 2006

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Dan Track wrote:

> Hi
>
> I appreciate this is OT but could some one guide me to some
> documentation that describes the difference between structured and
> unstructured cabling. Basically I just bought some cabling to attach
> my server to the switch, but someone just told me that what I bought
> was structured cabling and not good for this type of job.

someone has their terminology screwed up.

A structured cabling system is one layed out in a consistent hierarchical
system. An unstructured cable plant is one where every time you need to
connect two devices you ran another jumper/fiber/patch etc.

> Also should the switch to server wiring be shielded or unshielded?

If this is ethernet, 10/100/1000 base-t it runs over unshielded category 5
twisted pair cable.

Getting back to the original statement. in-wall wiring in most places has
to be plenum rated to meet building codes, in addition most of the time
premisis wiring  is done with solid copper rather than stranded (which is
more flexible and is used for jumpers.

If you have two devices sitting right next to each other, you just connect
them with a jumper.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu