Wiring help?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Apr 3 18:02:51 UTC 2006

Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Dan Track wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I appreciate this is OT but could some one guide me to some
>> documentation that describes the difference between structured and
>> unstructured cabling. Basically I just bought some cabling to attach
>> my server to the switch, but someone just told me that what I bought
>> was structured cabling and not good for this type of job.
>

> someone has their terminology screwed up.
>
> A structured cabling system is one layed out in a consistent
> hierarchical system. An unstructured cable plant is one where every time
> you need to connect two devices you ran another jumper/fiber/patch etc.
>
>> Also should the switch to server wiring be shielded or unshielded?
>

> If this is ethernet, 10/100/1000 base-t it runs over unshielded category
> 5 twisted pair cable.
>
> Getting back to the original statement. in-wall wiring in most places
> has to be plenum rated to meet building codes, in addition most of the
> time premisis wiring  is done with solid copper rather than stranded
> (which is more flexible and is used for jumpers.
>
> If you have two devices sitting right next to each other, you just
> connect them with a jumper.
>
>> Thanks for your patience
>> Dan

For most stuff that I do, I will use the same cable for patch cords
that don't get moved often as I wire with.  Of course this isn't my trade.

I have found that this guide is very useful.

Wiring Strategies Installation Guide
http://www.levitonvoicedata.com/learning/wiring.asp

The appendices have a good listing of different jacks and color codes
for both networking and telecommunications.

--
Robin Laing