Wiring help?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Apr 3 20:52:06 UTC 2006

Dan Track wrote:
> On 4/3/06, Joel Jaeggli <joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Dan Track wrote:
>>

>>>Hi
>>>

>>If you have two devices sitting right next to each other, you just connect
>>them with a jumper.
>>

>>>Thanks for your patience
>>>Dan
>

> Hi
>
> Thanks very much for your advice. I appreciate it.
>
> Could you elaborate on the stranded v non-stranded cabling. What are
> the key differences. Should I order stranded cabling to connect a
> switch and server?
>
> Thanks again
> Dan

Stranded cable has conductors made up of many strands of wires.  Solid
is just that, one conductor.  The stranded cable is much more flexible
and better for patch panels or equipment racks.  If you are just
hooking up a few computers, then solid will do as it isn't changed
often.  There is also a cost difference between the two for cable and
the correct connectors.  Think of a wire in your walls and an
extension cord.  Both can have the same electrical rated conductors
but the extension cord is much more flexible.

FWIW, if you are looking at patch cables, in most cases it is cheaper
to buy them than the cost of materials and labour to make them.  In
these cases the cables should be stranded.  I have used both in both
small and large installations.  I prefer stranded for patch
connectors.  Even though I have lots of small pieces of cable and
connectors, I still buy my patch cables.

The basic rule is if you have to follow Structured cabling standards,
then there are specifics on what types of cables are used where.
Heck, it can even get down to the colors of the cables used.

BiCSi is one organization that sets standards. - http://www.bicsi.org/

Of course if you are going to follow the standards, there are bigger
issues than the type of cable you use to connect a server to a switch.

You can gather information on wiring standards from equipment
manufacturers.  I posted the previous link to one pdf file.  Search
Google for others.

--
Robin Laing