Kernel Upgrade Woes

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 3 21:18:31 UTC 2006

--- Nathaniel Hall <nathaniel.d.hall at gmail.com> wrote:

> Last week I attempted to update my system with the
> newest kernel and
> software updates for Core 4.  My usual routine is to
> do a minimum
> install + Development Tools.  Once I have the system
> updated I will do a
> yum install kdebase to install KDE and X and a yum
> install kernel-devel
> to make sure the kernel stuff NVidia needs is there.
>  Lastly, I download
> and install the NVidia driver.
>
> This time, that did not work.  It tells me that it
> failed to compile the
> module.  I forget the exact errors that are in the
> log file, but it is
> the same no matter what.  Has anybody else had the
> same problems when
> trying to compile the module for the 2.6.16-1.2069
> kernel?

It ( Nvidia Installer ) looks for the kernel source,
and does not find it, it bails out.  The kernel-devel
package is not sufficient to install nvidia binary
driver.  It has happened to me also.  Nvidia driver
worked with FC4 2.6.15 kernel, but with
2.6.16-1.2069_FC4 it does not.  It is ok in my case I
can live without nvidia driver.