USB hard drive

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Apr 3 21:18:50 UTC 2006

Guy Fraser wrote:

> FAT32 is fine, but has a maximum size of 32GB, if you try to format
> a partition larger that 32GB windows will only allow it to be formatted
> as NTFS. I have a 2.5 inch 40GB USB2/Firewire pocket drive, I formated
> it with one partition as big as FAT32 could make and made a second
> partition with the rest of the space. I have all my music on the big
> partition and use the second partition as a data shuttle. I have been
> using it since FC1 and have used it on WinXP, Win98, Mac OS 9 and X,
> using USB, USB2 and Firewire whichever is faster and available.

This is a Windows XP format limit, not a FAT32 limit. Linux has no
problem with much larger FAT32 partitions. For that matter, nether
does Windows 98. You should be able to format your 40GB drive as one
FAT32 partition. You just can not use XP to do it. You can use
Windows 98 to do it. Now, for large drives, the version of fdisk
that came with 98 will run into problems, but there is an updated
fdisk that will work. In any case, the stock version has no problems
with a 40GB drive.

Mikkel