yum: Cannot open/read repomd.xml file

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Apr 3 22:10:29 UTC 2006

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/4/i386/os/repodata/repomd.xml:
>> [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (2, 'No such file or directory')>
>> Trying other mirror.
>> Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: base
>> failure: repodata/repomd.xml from base: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to
>> try. Error: failure: repodata/repomd.xml from base: [Errno 256] No more
>> mirrors to try.
>> ----------------------------------

> Check other messages sent short ago about nsswith.conf file that is
> broken...

Thank you.
That was indeed the cause.
I copied nsswitch.conf from an FC-5 machine to my FC-4 machine,
and all was well.

I had actually read (vaguely) about the problem with nsswitch.conf
and had looked at the file, which looked fine to me.
[I thought the file was going to be corrupt.]

I did look (quickly) at the fedora-list archives,
and didn't see the messages you mentioned -
however, your brief posting was enough to put me on the right lines.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366