How to find the ip of a mac-address

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Apr 3 23:05:05 UTC 2006

Daniel Challen wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 12:40 +0000, Dan Track wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I've got the mac-address of desktop. But I don't know it's IP, are
>>there any tools that I can use to find this IP.
>

> Presuming you're on the same LAN, and the desktop is not running Windows
> (which does not respond to the broadcast address):

Linux can be configured to not repond to broadcast pings, and windows
can be configured to respond to the,;-\

>   ping -b 192.168.0.255      (substitute with your broadcast address)
>   /sbin/arp -a | grep 00:10:00:FF:FF:FF		(substitute with the MAC
> address of the desktop)
>
> Failing that, you can watch network traffic and hope the desktop machine
> generates some traffic:
>   tcpdump -v ether host 00:10:00:FF:FF:FF

If you're using DHCP, then check the DHCP server's logs.

You can also use a shell script (or a small series of commands) to ping
all likely addresses (google should find some sample bash scripts for
you) and see what arp says.

nmap also has the ability to ping a range of IP addresses, and scanning
your local LAN for http servers would be quick (but less educational
than the scripting approach) and create the needed ARP entries.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait