wpa and supplicant clarification

Dan grinnz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 05:00:37 UTC 2006

akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> As I understand it wpa and supplicant are programs that strengthen the
> security if wireless communication over that provided by WEP access
> passwds.
>
> But what is not clear is this. To use wpa or one of the of the forms
> of supplicant it seems to me you would have to have control of the
> access point as well as the DHCP server for that access point.

Access point yes, DHCP server no. You just have to have control over how
the access point authenticates wireless connections, DHCP is a different
animal.
> My access point is serviced by AT&T wireless service. I don't see how
> I could the change their reliance on WEP authorization.

Call them?
> Am I wrong. If so could someone point me to a document that explains
> how to use wpa ot supplicant in this environment?

You'd have to have control of the access point to change its
authentication mode. Otherwise, you can't connect to it in any fashion
but the one that is set in the access point.
-Dan