YUM CRASHES WILL BLOW AWAY CACHE DOWNLOADS. GUARANTEED!

Mike Cohler mike.cohler at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 11:10:37 UTC 2006

>It appeared to me that the default cache retention behavior changed with
>FC5 (from FC4) and that you can turn retention back on by changing
>the /etc/yum.conf file.

>I ran into some dependency issues and sure enough, the next time I ran
>yum all the previous downloads were gone. I changed it to retain cache
>files and things worked as before.

>I don't have my FC5 system in front of me so I can't provide the exact
>config line that needs changing.

>Cheers, Greg.

Indeed the default behaviour has changed for FC5 but possibly unintentionally.

If you look at "man yum.conf" you will see that the default is for keepcache=1
in the file /etc/yum.conf but in fact the install gives keepcache=0

Quoting from the man page:
"
keepcache
              Either ‘1’ or ‘0’. Determines whether or not yum keeps the cache
              of  headers  and packages after succesful installation.  Default
              is ’1’ (keep files)
"

This means that the cache is cleaned out once yum has quit if set to zero (which
it is !)

If you change this to keepcache=1 then yum should have the same behaviour as in
FC4 i.e. to keep the rpms once downloaded.

This looks like a simple error when the isos were produced for release but no
doubt an expert will say if it was otherwise.

Mike