Samba

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Apr 4 11:25:10 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 04 April 2006 11:40, antonio montagnani wrote:
> 2006/4/4, Roger Grosswiler <roger at gwch.net>:
> > > Roger,
> > >
> > > I have a RH7.3 server set up and Samba works great. I access it from my
> > > Windows XT machine via my network places.
> > >
> > > I have set up Samba on FC5. Workgroup is supervisor (For some reason it
> > > will not take caps for supervisor) Security authentication mode is
> > > User. Encrypt passwords yes with no guest account. I set a user as Unix
> > > name dps2300 windows username dps2300 samba password 12345678. I did do
> > > a smbpasswd for dps2300 as 12345678 also...
> > >
> > > On the windows machine in my network places I can see Samba Server
> > > (Fedora5). When I click on it, it shows me a list of directories
> > > available. I click on it and it asks for user name and password I put
> > > in dps2300 and 12345678 and it does not allow me in. States it is not
> > > accessible.
> > >
> > > I can click on my RH7.3 and get right in...
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Dan Shelstad
> > > Birchdale Fire & Security, LLP.
> > > 218.838.1359

In both cases, it looks like an authentication problem.  SELinux or any
firewall in the system could be the problem, but I'm betting on samba
authentication.

First of all, make sure that you have added yourself and your password to
smbpasswd.  Then, one or two comments about samba.conf

> This is my samba.conf file.Any comment??
>
> # Samba config file created using SWAT
> # from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
> # Date: 2005/03/22 08:49:21
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
> 	dns proxy = No
> 	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
> 	server string = PC Antonio
> 	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
> 	guest ok = Yes
> 	os level = 255
> 	null passwords = Yes
> 	username map = /etc/samba/user.map
> 	preferred master = no
> 	max log size = 50
> 	wins support = true

I don't see any workgroup= line, but since you say you can see the shares,
that's probably not the cause of the current problems.  The username map=
should be deleted unless you need to map names and passwords that don't match
the ones on your samba server.  You probably don't need the wins support line
either.  If in doubt, comment them out so that they are easily added back.

Null passwords is not a good idea.  Use security = user in the global section,
which will prompt for user passwords.  Then add a line as below for the
public directory.

> [homes]
> 	comment = Home Directories
> 	read only = No