Samba

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Apr 4 12:15:14 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 04 April 2006 13:04, antonio montagnani wrote:

> Tnx Anne but it didn't work....
> This is the updated samba.conf file:
>

> # Samba config file created using SWAT
> # from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
> # Date: 2005/03/22 08:49:21
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
> 	dns proxy = No
> 	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
> 	server string = PC Antonio
> 	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
> 	workgroup = workgroup
> 	guest ok = Yes
> 	os level = 255
> 	null passwords = Yes
> 	security = shares
> 	preferred master = no
> 	max log size = 50
>
> [homes]
> 	comment = Home Directories
> 	read only = No
>
> [printers]
> 	comment = All Printers
> 	path = /var/spool/samba
> 	printable = Yes
> 	browseable = No
>

> [Progetto]
> 	path = /home/public
> 	read only = No
>         public = yes

I note that you are still using security = share.  Do you have a strong reason
for that?  I recommended security = user, as that would protect your shares
from accidental damage by others, except where you specifically allow them
(for instance, on our home LAN I rule that no-one should put original work
into a public directory, only a copy of the original).

Security = share means that samba gets to know who you are, and therefore your
users get the rights that they would have on the samba server accounts.  The
public directory, because you have declared it to be public, will be open to
all, without authentication.

Apart from that, when you've made the changes, do a 'service smb restart' in a
root console, then try to access the shared directories from the remote box -
both your /home and the public one.  Then go back to the server and look at
the samba log - you will have a log for each machine that has attempted an
access.  Give us anything in the log that is from the time when you made the
attempts.

Anne