Wiring help?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Apr 4 12:27:22 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 01:31 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> So, if one needs one or two 5 foot cables, then the prepared cable
> is cheaper. If one needs twenty 5 foot cables, then unprepared
> cable is cheaper.

Not to mention that if you need to pass cables through tiny holes in
walls, you do need to be able to put a plug or socket onto a wire.  That
probably requires a tool (I'm yet to see a connector that could be
easily done without one).

> One thing I've wondered: On what basis should one choose between
> using EIA 568A and EIA 568B? Electrically, they are the same.
> I've been out of the cable making "business" for several years,
> so I don't know why there are two standards for this, anyway.

I wonder if the way some cables are formed makes it easier to wire it
one way or another?  Hand wrangling the wires into the right place to
crimp on a plug can be a right pain.  You've got untangle wires, cross
some over others, and get them all to go into the plug the same
distance.  It would have been a lot easier to do that if they'd come up
with a wiring arrangement different from the current specs.  i.e. A pair
on 1 & 2, the next on 3 & 4, the next on 5 & 6, the last on 7 & 8,
instead of having the break apart pairs and straddle others.  I
seriously doubt that would have degraded noise rejection.

I read messages from the public lists.