mounting USB media in KDE&FC5

Roman Maeder gmAB.20.rmaeder at spamgourmet.com
Tue Apr 4 15:38:13 UTC 2006

I was about to ask for help with a problem mounting removable media in KDE
and FC5, but I just stumbled on the solution. It turns out, if you have an
entry in /etc/fstab such as

/dev/sda1               /media/usb         vfat    user,noauto 0 0

(a leftover from FC3 days)
then KDE cannot automount an USB stick that is assigned sda. The panel pops
up,

        "A new medium has been detected"
        Medium type: Unmounted removable medium

I say "Open in new window". After a while a konqueror window opens, with
location system:/media/sda1 but there is an ugly sound and an error panel
pops up: "Permissions denied". I can mount it manually from a shell.

Without this entry, it suddenly works, the type changes to "mounted
removable medium".

hope this helps others wondering why it doesn't work.

Roman