Samba

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Apr 4 19:08:44 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 04 April 2006 19:50, Todd Zullinger wrote:

> I have an FC4 system here.  And there surely is the section that Craig
> quoted in the smb.conf manpage.  It is also referenced in the samba
> manpage (3 times, actually).

You are absolutely correct, and I apologise for the misunderstanding.  I have
only ever seen the samba man page before.  There are a host of smb-whatever
man pages that I had completely missed.  I did mean what I said about wanting
to see the document, so I shall be reading at least some of those.

The point in question, though was that two people want/need a very simple
setup.  I'm not suggesting that what Craig outlined would not work, but it is
probably not the simplest way for them to have a secure system.  The part
that I quoted from JT's book goes on to detail the smb.conf for that
situation.  He has just 7 lines in the global section for a 'share' system,
but then uses force-user and force-group to give some security.

In the past, when the windows machines on my lan were win98 boxes the users
always felt to be logging in transparently, because they were passing their
windows login, and could not do anything else.  Since W2K, of course, all
that has changed, but it's no hardship to log in once for a session, and I
believe that it is a simpler way to have a semblance of security.

As always, YMMV

Anne