Samba

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Apr 4 20:58:39 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 21:38 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 April 2006 21:11, Craig White wrote:

> > ----
> > I thought I did in my first reply to this thread
> >
> > 1 - clarified 'security = share' as opposed to 'security = shares'
> > 2 - referred to man page which described all the possible uses of user
> > settings for login/permissions control for a 'security = share' setting.
> >
> Well, only they can say whether they thought that that message gave them the
> information they need.  Personally, I feel that giving 'all the possible
> uses' is less than helpful to someone coming fresh to a situation.  That, to
> my mind, comes once you have the basics under control.  One of the problems
> when you first start using samba is that there is just so much information,
> that finding the right bits for what you need feels overwhelming.  I think it
> is better to start with a minimalistic version with help from wherever you
> can get it, then go and read all the rest so that you can tweak it.
----
I sort of thought that the man pages are the right bits to start with -
or that is what they are supposed to be. To paraphrase them with my
understanding would possibly do a disservice - especially considering
that some of the options might be exactly what the OP was looking for
but couldn't articulate.

I did ask for follow up information just in case the information in the
man pages wasn't clear enough and even pointed out that when using
'security = share', shares such as homes/profile/netlogon were not
relevant.

I honestly don't know how I could have been more helpful in my first
reply which was my time 6:15 AM and I am GMT -7:00

but specifically...

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-April/msg00816.html

Craig