Samba

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Apr 4 21:15:32 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 04 April 2006 21:58, Craig White wrote:
> I sort of thought that the man pages are the right bits to start with -
> or that is what they are supposed to be. To paraphrase them with my
> understanding would possibly do a disservice - especially considering
> that some of the options might be exactly what the OP was looking for
> but couldn't articulate.

Man pages vary enormously, from those that give very little useful advice, to
those that are almost book-length.  Some are excellent starting points.  Some
are useless.  Many are excellent once you understand the basics, but not a
good starting point.

That's my POV, anyway :-)  The problem is always the balance between too
little information and too much.  Even the problem of defining the task in
hand is beyond someone who is still trying to get to grips with the concepts
and the language, so answers can be completely wrong because the question is
misunderstood.

Anne