Wiring help?

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 4 21:55:51 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> Tim:
>
>>>I wonder if the way some cables are formed makes it easier to wire it
>>>one way or another?  Hand wrangling the wires into the right place to
>>>crimp on a plug can be a right pain.  You've got untangle wires, cross
>>>some over others, and get them all to go into the plug the same
>>>distance.  It would have been a lot easier to do that if they'd come up
>>>with a wiring arrangement different from the current specs.  i.e. A pair
>>>on 1 & 2, the next on 3 & 4, the next on 5 & 6, the last on 7 & 8,
>>>instead of having the break apart pairs and straddle others.  I
>>>seriously doubt that would have degraded noise rejection.
>

> Mikkel L. Ellertson:
>
>>It has to do with backward compatibility. Remember, the same jacks
>>are used for more then Ethernet.
>

> I've read about that, but I really do not think it's a sensible thing to
> mix phone and ethernet wires together in the one connector as a standard
> thing to do.

Umm, but that is not the point. The point is that Ethernet over RJ11
jacks/cables was intended to run on *existing* installations of
CAT 3 (telephony) cable w/o having to run new wires. When a new run
is made, with CAT 5, then the new RJ45 would also accept the older
cables w/o forcing recabling between the terminal and the wall jack.

[snip]

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.