ARP requests on my net?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Apr 5 01:26:06 UTC 2006

Edward Krack wrote:
>  Mike McCarty:
>
>> I've been watching my LAN using tcpdump, and noticed
>> that ARP is running repeatedly on my FC2 machine, and
>> wonder why.
>
> ARP is used by TCP/IP to resolve an IP address such as
> 172.17.205.79 to a unique hardware address, 00:11:95:0b:cc:28
>
> Communicates between two computers on the same subnet as the host
> server.
>
> You can improve the connection speed to a server used most often is
> to make the static entry in ARP cache.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.  An ARP request/response
takes a very short time and generally happens only when the arp cache
expires for a given IP addresss.  The timeout is usually measured in
minutes.  If my memory is correct, it is only the ARP request for the
default gateway that happens periodically.