Installing patch for VMware Workstation 5.5 For Linux

Jeffrey D. Yuille jeffy5 at optonline.net
Wed Apr 5 03:19:29 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 10:56 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

> Jeffrey D. Yuille wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >      I tried to go to the WMware website to find the patch
> > wmware-any-any-update101 update but cannot find it.  Where can I go to
> > get this patch?  Also, when compiling the software in /usr/bin, I get to
> > the point in the installation where it asks for a C compiler.  I am
> > currently using the latest kernel in FC5 and when I look for the path
> > suggested in the installation, it is not on my computer.  I am using
> > rpm's to install vmware, but when I get to this part of the installation
> > (where it asks for the compiler), I am sitting dead in the water.  What
> > can I do to resolve this situation?  Thanks in advance.
>
> If you googled for wmware-any-any-update101 you are right...it wouldn't
> be found.  :-)  vmware....
>
> http://ftp.cvut.cz/vmware/
>

> --
> We are now enjoying total mutual interaction in an imaginary hot tub ...

     Hello,
          I went to the site to download the patch.  Upon installing the
patch, it brought me to the installation of VMware.  This is the output
of the installation.  What can I do to correct this situation?

output:

[jeffy at jeffy ~]$ su
Password:
[root at jeffy jeffy]# tar -xzvf vmware-any-any-update101.tar.gz
vmware-any-any-update101/
vmware-any-any-update101/services.sh
vmware-any-any-update101/runme.pl
vmware-any-any-update101/vmmon.tar
vmware-any-any-update101/update
vmware-any-any-update101/update.c
vmware-any-any-update101/vmnet.tar
[root at jeffy jeffy]# ./runme.pl
bash: ./runme.pl: No such file or directory
[root at jeffy jeffy]# cd vmware-any-any-update101
[root at jeffy vmware-any-any-update101]# ./runme.pl
Updating /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl ... already patched
Updating /usr/bin/vmware ... No patch needed/available
Updating /usr/bin/vmnet-bridge ... No patch needed/available
Updating /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx ... No patch needed/available
Updating /usr/lib/vmware/bin-debug/vmware-vmx ... No patch
needed/available
VMware modules in "/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source" has been updated.

Before running VMware for the first time after update, you need to
configure it
for your running kernel by invoking the following command:
"/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl". Do you want this script to invoke the
command for
you now? [yes] yes

Making sure services for VMware Workstation are stopped.

Stopping VMware services:
   Virtual machine monitor                                 [  OK  ]

Configuring fallback GTK+ 2.4 libraries.

In which directory do you want to install the mime type icons?
[/usr/share/icons] /usr/share/icons

What directory contains your desktop menu entry files? These files have
.desktop file extension.
[/usr/share/applications] /usr/share/applications

In which directory do you want to install the application's icon?
[/usr/share/pixmaps] /usr/share/pixmaps

Trying to find a suitable vmmon module for your running kernel.

None of the pre-built vmmon modules for VMware Workstation is suitable
for your
running kernel.  Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon
module for
your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)?
[yes] yes

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/src/linux/include

The path "/usr/src/linux/include" is not an existing directory.