Questions about the new mount system: "gnome-mount"?

Steven P. Ulrick lists-fedora at afolkey2.net
Wed Apr 5 03:21:57 UTC 2006

Hello, Everyone
Before I proceed to ask this question, I want to acknowledge that I
have read the following from the release notes:
> Fedora Core 5 now uses gnome-mount, a more efficient mechanism that
> replaces fstab-sync, and uses HAL to handle mounting.

> 7.7. No automatic fstab editing for removable media
>
> The fstab-sync facility has been removed. In Fedora Core , the
> fstab-sync program is removed in favor of desktop specific solutions
> for mounting removable media. Entries for hotplug devices or inserted
> media are no longer automatically added to the /etc/fstab file.
> Command-line users may migrate to gnome-mount, which provides similar
> functionality.

First, let me describe this the same way that I discovered it:
I wanted to mount a CD, or maybe my flash drive.  I looked on my KDE
desktop, and there were no icons to click on to mount any drives.  So I
first looked at my /media directory, and of course (as I now know) it
was empty.
I proceeded to do some googling on the matter, which prompted me to try
to log-in to gnome and see if I had any better luck over there.  Some
of you may be expecting what happened next: I started placing data cd's
in my cd drives, and I plugged my flash drive into a port on the front
of our machine.  Lo and behold, they mounted automatically.  Logged out
of gnome, and logged back into KDE, and of course, they were still
mounted.

I do not need (nor do I necessarily want) automounting.  All I want to
do (as a regular user) is to mount and unmount media in my two cd drives
and my flash drive.  I do not use GNOME, and I would rather not have to
log out of KDE, get my media mounted, and log back into KDE to use it.
And I don't want to switch to GNOME.  So the question is, how do I
achieve automounting in KDE?  Or, how can I mount my cd drives and my
flash drive as a regular user in KDE?

Since it may be significant, I am running KDE 3.5.2 compiled from
source (Branch 3.5 SVN) on Fedora Core 5.

If you have reason to suspect that I should take this over to the KDE
list, let me know.  Also, if any of you will assist me in determining
what (if any) component I should file a bug against, I would be glad to
do that as well.

Have a Great Day/Night,
Steven P. Ulrick