./configure command

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Apr 5 04:32:18 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 16:42 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> >>"Never" is a very big word. There are quite a few bits of software
> >>which are not provided via RPMs.
> >
> > Then package them as RPMs or find ways to make installing them
> > sufficiently safe not to corrupt your installation.
>
> Whom are you instructing to do this? The hapless OP? He wants
> help finding a toolset, and instead of helping him find it,
> you are telling him he should find an RPM which may or may
> not exist.
Wrong. I am telling him: He shall write an rpm.spec.

>  If a mistake is made in the RPM, or if
> the RPM is built by someone with malicious tendencies,
> then there is nothing about RPM which will protect.

An rpm is the result of a complex process, called "packaging".

This is much more than "putting files into an archive" or a "./configure
&& make", much more ...

> >>Please tell me where I can get a copy of GCC built as a
> >>cross-compiler for my new-fangled GRZ-BLATT 923 microcontroller
> >>available as a RPM.
> >
> > _Your_ new one? Then build an rpm from it.
>
> You sure are handy at doling out work to other people,
> instead of helping people solve their problems.

> The guy needed to find the development toolset so he
> could build something.
No. The guy apparently is a newbie and is about to learn.

I tell him he'd better build an rpm and not to run a plain
"configure && make install".

>  In effect, you told him to go
> back to the developer and insist that the developer
> create an RPM.
I am telling him: Learn to build an rpm, or stop now, you have reached
the limits of your knowledge.

> If I were building my own package for my own use, I
> surely wouldn't put it into an RPM.
Your fault - I can't prevent you from shooting yourself into the foot or
other parts of your body.

Ralf