Problem with File Manager (SU mode)

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Wed Apr 5 07:03:59 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 04 April 2006 20:06, Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 18:37 -0800, Thomas Taylor wrote:
> > Problem:
> >
> > File Manager (Konqueror) in SU mode is trying to open folders with a text
> > editor (Kate) instead of diving into the sub-folders.
> >
> > History:
> >
> > I have Parkinson's disease and have poor control of the mouse.  I'm
> > assuming that I either  hit the wrong button or moved the mouse when I
> > hit a button. Things were working correctly after I installed FC5 (final)
> > last month and for about a week thereafter.  Then I noticed the above
> > behavior and have not been able to correct it since.
> >
> > I've searched google and the Konqueror config files but haven't found
> > anything yet.  I could, of course, just re-install it but then I wouldn't
> > learn what I had done in case I do it again.
> >
> > Anyone have a pointer where to look?
>
> ----
> my guess...it's somewhere in this file...
> /root/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals
>
> you could try moving/renaming/deleting that file and then opening
> Konqueror in su mode again
>
> perhaps the easier way is by deleting or renaming
> /root/.local & /root/.config
>
> then as root (su -) in konsole:
> kbuildsyscoca
>
> surely would have to be a whole lot easier than installing again.
>
> Craig

Hi Craig:

I managed to get things back to normal operation but did run into a couple of
differences in your "easier way" above.  I deleted the /root/.local but there
is no /root/.config on my system.  The other problem was with the spelling of
kbuildsyscoca, the second "s" should not be there.  The idea was correct
though.  Found that when I started looking in /usr/bin and fould
"kbuildsycoca".  Now I'm able to recurse through the folder levels again.

Thanks,
Tom

--
Tom Taylor