FC5 and printing with an LPRNG server

Boris Glawe boris at boris-glawe.de
Wed Apr 5 10:31:56 UTC 2006

Hello,

we've got about 50 client machines, that will be installed with kickstart.

Problem is that our print server is a solaris machine with LPRNG. We
cannot switch to cups here, since we are dependent on our print
accounting solution.

I'd like to configure all printers (about 10 printers) during the
kickstart procedure.

On a testmachine I did this:

lpadmin -p printer1 -v lpd://printserver/printer1
cupsenable printer1
lpadmin -p printer2 -v lpd://printserver/printer2
cupsenable printer2

printing does not work though. lpq tells me something about "printer
printer1 is not ready"

What am I doing wrong? I know that I can specify a ppd file with
lpadmin's option "-m laserjet.ppd.gz". In this case printing works. But
why do I have to specify the printer, if the client isn't the backend?
Isn't it the LPRNG server that needs the printer driver installed? It's
not very comfortable if I have to specify the printer type on every client.

Another problem is that  - in the case that printing works after having
specified the correct ppd file - the printjobs immediately disappear on
the client machine. As a consequence the printjob cannot be interrupted
by the client. Do you have any solutions for this?

thanks in advance

Boris