Wiring help?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 5 11:48:26 UTC 2006

Tim:
>> I wonder if the way some cables are formed makes it easier to wire it
>> one way or another?  Hand wrangling the wires into the right place to

Mike McCarty:
> The differences between the two standards has nothing to do with
> how the wires are connected, it has to do with which colors of
> wires go into which holes. Electrically, they are identical.

I know that, but I was thinking of this situation:  If you've ever tried
to wire up multi-pin connectors, a lot, you notice that some cables are
formed with the wires spread so that they align with the pins.  You'll
find it easy to put a plug on one end and a socket on another, because
everything is already in the right place.  But try putting the plugs on
the other ends, and you have to cross wires over each other.  Even
three-core mains cables are like that, it's actually forbidden to put
them on the wrong end, because you'll cross active over the (stupidly
named) neutral, and if they chafe, they'll short together.

I read messages from the public lists.