Yum No Match for argument: ndiswrapper -

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Apr 5 15:33:33 UTC 2006

Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Gerry Tool wrote:
>> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>> It seems to me I read that yum provides ndiswrapper but I have met with
>>> no success.  I first tried Yumex
>>> since it lists available RPM's.  Nothing there either.
>>>
>>> This is a new FC-5 installation  and perhaps not configured for the
>>> required repositories?
>>>
>>> I did download a tarred" copy which I can install if there's no RPM.
>>>
>>> This is part of an effort to install a Linksys WMP54G "wireless"
>>> adapter.
>>>
>>> Any help appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> Bob Goodwin     Zuni, Virginia
>>>

>> [root at gstpc-fc4 ~]# yum list ndiswrapper*
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> Available Packages
>> ndiswrapper.i386                         1.10-2.lvn5            livna
>>
>> It is in the livna repository, so install/enable that repo and you
>> will be able to install it from rpm.  I installed it both ways on a
>> laptop trying a similar thing and it worked the same either way, but I
>> think it is good to use an rpm whenever possible.
>>
>> Gerry
>>
> I am going from bad to worse!  I can't "make"  ndiswrapper from the tar
> because it wants "2.6.15-1.2054_FC5/build" which I don't seem to have
> and/or can't find.

Do you have the kernel-devel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 package installed?

> Neither yum nor yumex will work with Livna, can't find the mirrors for
> whatever reason.

Did you follow the livna installation instructions at
http://rpm.livna.org/configuration.html ?

It would be a good idea to boot with the errata kernel package if you're
trying to install non-GPL kernel modules - see the bottom of
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/FC5Common

Paul.